Martson Pit was once part of the brickwork industry in the heart of Bedfordshire in the 1950’s 60’s and 70’s . The London Brick Company dug out huge areas of the county where clay seams were present, the clay was extracted and sent to the Stewartby brickworks and at one time the factory’s produced 135 million bricks a year, but as the years past there was a massive decline in brick demand and the brick industry slowed leaving the pits to flood ,but as a legacy they left huge expanses of water which were then rented out to leisure activity’s one being angling and this is when Ampthill Angling Club acquired the Marston Pit.
The club has had the lake for 30 years + and all the stocked fish have been put in by the club. In the early days the lake held a good head of tench and bream but was only fished by a few. The lake now holds a great head of carp which attracts many budding carpers to the club but the lake also holds a good silver stock and one can easily spend a few happy evenings catching plentiful bags of roach and rudd too.